Steak

All things cooking

Moderator: Officers

Citrate
Ralph Wiggum
Ralph Wiggum

Steak

Post by Citrate » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:43 pm

I'm not sure if everyone knows how easy it is to cook a really great steak. I know when someone mentions steak, often the first thing people think of is grilling... but truthfully you get a much better result out of a pan and your oven than you will on the grill. Here are 14 simple steps to make a very yummy result:

1 - Take the steak out and lay it on the counter (best to use a steak that is pretty thick, like a 3/4-1" strip steak). Salt liberally (use a large grain or coarse-ground salt, sea-salt, etc. versus table salt). Use a bit of pepper if you like, but honestly it's not that important.
2 - Preheat your oven to 500-550 degrees. Make sure it's REALLY warmed up first. A baking stone helps also.
3 - Place a heavy cast iron or thick steel frying pan on the stove (no non-stick pans here!) and turn the heat on high. Get the pan very very hot.
4 - Once the pan is hot, put a bit of oil in the pan (a Tbps or so) and swish it around. Be sure your pan is clean or it might spatter. I use Canola or Olive Oil.... be careful, Olive oil burns at a fairly low temperature, so this will smoke quite a bit.
5 - Lay the steak into the pan starting closest to you, and lay it down away from you (helps keep you from getting spattered with hot oil).
6 - DON'T TOUCH IT for about 3 minutes.
7 - Flip the steak over.
8 - DON'T TOUCH IT for about 3.5 - 4 minutes (a little longer because the steak will have cooled off your pan a bit).
9 - Sear the edges...especially the fatty side. You want those juices, and frankly color = flavor when it comes to steak.
10 - Place the pan, with steak, in the oven.
11 - Plan to cook it anywhere from about 3.5 minutes for medium rare to 8 minutes depending on how well done you like your steak, and how well your oven holds temp.
12 - Remove pan and steak from oven. Remove steak from pan and place on a plate.
13 - DON'T TOUCH IT for about 5 minutes. Seriously. Just don't do it!
14 - Serve and enjoy!

Photos are fun: http://cloud.jmr.bz/public.php?service= ... 86c51eab5b
-- Citrate