Guild wars 2?

General gaming discussion.
Maruda
I am the lawgivah!
I am the lawgivah!

Re: Guild wars 2?

Post by Maruda » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:42 am

I bought it, but I am out of town, on my macbook, and it is not running on the old Windows 8 install I have on this thing. When I get back home, hopefully next week (I managed to come into Baton Rouge right before the stupid hurricane), I am going to play a little and see how I like it.
There is no charge for Awesomeness. Or Atractiveness.

Daenerys
Princess
Princess

Post by Daenerys » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:04 pm

Got a group of us playing on Jade Quarry.
"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." --Mill

Woe
Guild Leader, Disease Spreader

Post by Woe » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:02 pm

Jade Quarry eh? I might server transfer then. Nothing keeping me on this server, and transfers are free for a week.

Have a guild running?
ImageImage

Daenerys
Princess
Princess

Post by Daenerys » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:42 pm

I think so, I've gotta talk to my friend. I've been playing on the off hours so mostly by myself. Been fighting the server maintenances and downtimes cause of it so I've gotten a lot of no where.
"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." --Mill

Maruda
I am the lawgivah!
I am the lawgivah!

Post by Maruda » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:51 pm

List your names so I can find ya'll. Got the game to install on the macbook, but of course, I am now downloading some retarded huge amount of files on this crappy hotel wifi. So probably wont be online tonight :/

Woe

Post by Woe » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:58 pm

Not sure if I'll be able to transfer, says that the server (and most others) are full. We'll see.

On Borliss Pass I'm "Irrate"
ImageImage

Maruda
I am the lawgivah!
I am the lawgivah!

Post by Maruda » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:09 pm

Jade Quarry was full and wouldnt allow me, so made my toon on Borlis pass. Made one of those short engineers to start with. Only got an hour or so in since it took 4 hours to patch, but what little I got in with a shitty framerate I liked.

It's still a bit confusing how some stuff works, and the turret design for engineers is laughable. Hopefully it looks a little better down the road, but I like how it shows you whats in the area your in, the events popping up, etc. When I am on a not so laggy and slow machine I imagine it will be leaps better gameplay.

One thing that did massively piss me off, is right away I had a chest that needs some key to open, and when I clicked on it, it took me to the online store to buy shit. I hope this key is obtainable in game. If I have to pay to open chests, I will likely quit playing immediately.

Anyways, probably wont be on tonight as I am sure the wife will be clingy, but it;'s a long weekend so I should get some play time in this weekend. Already added you Chris, so I will stalk you in game.

Woe

Post by Woe » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:04 pm

The black lion chests are crap. Keys are either a random drop, or a reward for zone completion in-game.

The currency they use (gems) for real-cash transactions can be purchased with in-game currency too. You aren't required to use cash in order to buy things from the shop. The rate of exchange is wonky right now, because the trading post isn't live yet.

The events thing is pretty awesome. I love how you can hop into a group or raid-level boss quest, and be rewarded based on your own contribution, without having to join a group or anything.

I'll be on a bit more often over the next few days. What did you name your toon?
ImageImage

Maruda
I am the lawgivah!
I am the lawgivah!

Post by Maruda » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:36 pm

Oddly enough just about every name I normally used was taken, so I went with Vrima.

Maruda
I am the lawgivah!
I am the lawgivah!

Post by Maruda » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:22 pm

Have to say, I really like the general game style. Doesnt matter what level you are, just run around a map hunting tasks and vistas and points of interest. You will autoadjust down in level capability to match the zone so you never "outlevel" anything. No stocking a million quests and running back and forth. Just explore and do stuff as you want if your interested.

Combat is generally fun. Some of the jumping puzzles can be frustrating since the control isnt perfect, but ah well. Eventually you get past anything. Joining a world boss fight is as easy as running in and start shooting, as they adjust difficulty to the amount of people there, although there should be 8+ for most big bosses. Lots of skills/spells to pick up eventually.

And best feature in a MMO ever. Gather nodes are instanced, and whatever you gather you can send right to your bank, no matter where you are. GLORIOUS. Cuts down on the dick factor by quite a bit. Been playing an engineer, and it's a JOAT type class. Not the best at anything, but a ton of interesting toys. May start a human/norn necromancer or elementalist next to try out just to see how a more dps focused class works out.

Zhemoc
NOT Cherry Squishie

Post by Zhemoc » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:07 pm

Have to admit, I've been fairly skeptical of this one since I heard of it and that continued up well until release. But seeing some of the talk of people in game and the sort I might give it a try in a month or so after things have calmed down a bit.

Maruda
I am the lawgivah!
I am the lawgivah!

Post by Maruda » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:40 pm

I dont see myself playing hugely later on, but right now just the fact that you get stuff one by exploring is good enough. Very pick up and go. Characters play different enough that I will probably play with several through at least the personal storylines.

Jahadura
Ralph Wiggum
Ralph Wiggum

Post by Jahadura » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:22 am

I gave in to the nagging. I'm on Jade Quarry as Jahadura... It said pop was high on all the servers but it still let me in, maybe it was a slow night.

Side note: Boo for having to pick one server! Between you guys & RL friends, I was torn between 3 different servers lol
ImageSuccumb to the powers of my evil rubber ducky!

Woe

Post by Woe » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:14 pm

Jahadura wrote:I gave in to the nagging. I'm on Jade Quarry as Jahadura... It said pop was high on all the servers but it still let me in, maybe it was a slow night.

Side note: Boo for having to pick one server! Between you guys & RL friends, I was torn between 3 different servers lol
LAME. Yuri and I are lonely. Awesome game though, definitely like it. My ranger is 80, working on a guardian to collect tradeskill mats.

You should roll an 'alt' on our server :D
ImageImage

Jahadura
Ralph Wiggum
Ralph Wiggum

Post by Jahadura » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:46 pm

Do I have to make a new account to roll an alt on a new server?

I was able to add Casey to my friend's list, even with him on another server, so I'm on Jahadura.2594
ImageSuccumb to the powers of my evil rubber ducky!