Guild wars 2?

General gaming discussion.
Maruda
I am the lawgivah!
I am the lawgivah!

Guild wars 2?

Post by Maruda » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:09 pm

Anybody looking at it? I played the first way back when it first came out for a while, and it was fun enough, but I was usually by myself. Curious if anybody is picking this one up.
There is no charge for Awesomeness. Or Atractiveness.

Woe
Guild Leader, Disease Spreader

Re: Guild wars 2?

Post by Woe » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:48 pm

Yeah, I'll likely be giving it a try for a bit at least. I looked into it a while back and it seemed fun enough.
ImageImage

Maruda
I am the lawgivah!
I am the lawgivah!

Post by Maruda » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:13 pm

Just saw a video since someone I met sunday mentioned it, and it looks interesting. Very hectic combat, looks kind alike a a mix between a dungeon crawler and a MMO.

Mammasboy
Ralph Wiggum
Ralph Wiggum

Post by Mammasboy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:58 pm

I'm in the beta this weekend so hoping they improved it enough over Guild Wars 2 for me to enjoy. From what they've said I think they have. I coudln't stand the lack of aggro in the game.
My mom rox, Nerf me

ImageImageImage

Daenerys
Princess
Princess

Post by Daenerys » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:28 pm

I'll be playing the beta this weekend as well. Will dribble my thoughts on it here later.
"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." --Mill

keefers
Moe Szyslak
Moe Szyslak

Post by keefers » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:21 am

Despite preordering it long ago I have not received a beta invite for this weekend.
Horde Main - Shalkrum
Alliance Main - Keefers

Daenerys
Princess
Princess

Post by Daenerys » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:55 pm

You have to register the game. Should've gotten an email that explains how to do all that.
"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." --Mill

keefers
Moe Szyslak
Moe Szyslak

Post by keefers » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:56 pm

I never got an email, but I haven't been here to play anyway so its not a big deal. Those of you who played let me know what you thought.
Horde Main - Shalkrum
Alliance Main - Keefers

Daenerys
Princess
Princess

Post by Daenerys » Fri May 04, 2012 4:35 pm

Initial impressions.

I like the game. Its fun, its challenging, and the storyline makes you actually feel like you're playing an RPG for a change. Combat is active, as opposed to passive auto attack afk crap. There was a lot of complaining from wowtards in the general chat about this. There are a lot of neat concepts in the game. Crafting is pretty straightforward, but they've added a "discovery" system to it which makes things interesting. Gathering you can do all 3 without issues, all depends if you have the consumable or not. There is no healing except for personal healing. Get used to dying early on. Use karma points whenever you see an upgrade. There are no real quests in the game so you won't be getting quest rewards except for the primary line. You can swap weapons in combat (10 second cooldown after swapped) to change techniques, for example longbow for hunter to put out massive damage while mob runs towards you, swap to short bow to snare and scoot the fuck out.

Classes tried:

Thief (norn/stealth): This will probably be the class I play live. Played this class to 15. Melee was difficult to get used to at first. All incoming attacks can be avoided so circle strafing is your friend. There is no auto attack. Each weapon combination (main hand/offhand) has different techniques and in order to effectively play your class you need to combine those techniques. Some combos are single target oriented, sword/dagger, dual pistols for example, while others are AE oriented, dual daggers. The stealing concept is pretty novel and adds a different combat tactic. Press steal, you'll shadowstep into the mob then steal a random item. The item you gain will either heal you, cause damage, disorient the mob or buff you. Whatever you steal will depend on the mob and each mob has 2 or 3 different things you can steal, so stealing frequently is beneficial. I went leatherworking on this char and that helped pretty significantly with the armor upgrades. I died a lot less.

Hunter (human/pauper): I didn't play this class long up to level 8. I like the ability to skirmish and this will be a fun class in pvp. Shortbow allows you to shoot and scoot while longbow you need to root yourself in place but you cause massive damage as well as AE damage. The melee skills are really cool with the sword/axe combo. A lot of jumping in and out of combat with just the normal attacks so DPS can be kind of wonky if you're not paying attention. Pets have major pathing issues which render them almost useless in some cases. Pet system is pretty neat (when the pet isn't being retarded) and you can swap pets on the fly.

Engineer (human/noble): This was a pretty fun class. I played this one to 10. Lots of versatility with the weapon combinations. Dual pistols allow for AE damage and whatnot. I never could get glue shot to work just right, I couldn't get the timing right so I always missed the target. The turrets are fun and can do some pretty significant damage with the right combinations. Saw someone with a rifle/missile turrets and those raped face pretty quick.

Overall impression: Glad I preordered the game. I'll probably stick with this one for a while. I find the combat engaging, the game to be challenging and the storyline compelling enough to keep me hooked. The choices you make during character creation actually makes a difference in the main storyline and quest objectives. You can't necessarily fail public quests, they'll just give you different objectives. Crafting does look to provide better gear than karma and questing so this maybe one of the few games crafting will actually make a difference with. I love the fact that there will be no monthly cost either.

Maruda
I am the lawgivah!
I am the lawgivah!

Post by Maruda » Sat May 05, 2012 1:05 am

Sounds promising. May jump on it, with the usual as time allows caveat.

Daenerys
Princess
Princess

Post by Daenerys » Sat May 05, 2012 8:31 pm

keefers
Moe Szyslak
Moe Szyslak

Post by keefers » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:55 pm

Who all preordered this? I had a gift card so I said why not.
Horde Main - Shalkrum
Alliance Main - Keefers

Daenerys
Princess
Princess

Post by Daenerys » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:37 pm

I preordered, just not sure how often I'm going to be playing though. I've gone extreme casual recently.

Maruda
I am the lawgivah!
I am the lawgivah!

Post by Maruda » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:13 pm

Welp, game releases when I will be out of town on business, so I wont be on launch, but I am considering buying it when I get back.

Woe
Guild Leader, Disease Spreader

Post by Woe » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:32 pm

This game... I like it. Anyone else playing? I'm on the Borlis Pass server.
ImageImage