View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 8:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 No Mans sky 
I am the lawgivah!
I am the lawgivah!

Post No Mans sky
So. NMS. I really wanted to love it. I hoped it would be the Elite Dangerous that didn't become a boring grind fest. It started out great. You start out on a planet with a broken ass space ship. You need to find some materials to fix the ship. In the meantime you can also find alien ruins to learn ancient languages (1 word at a time), other living aliens to trade with (very basic system), as well as the random drop pod with suit inventory upgrades, and crashed ships you can also fix and take over. How do you do this? by finding ore/elements needed to fix XYZ part on the ship to get it working, and fuel (mostly plutonium) to be able to take off and fly around. Extra elements/crafting materials you find can be sold off for units, to buy other stuff. Along the way you will also find recipes to upgrade your suit systems (cold resist, underwater breathing, etc), multitool (faster mining laser, better bullet shots), and spaceship (better shields, fast more efficient interplanetary drive). You can also scan alien life forms (plants and animals) to get some units for "discovering" them (even though every planet has extensive alien presences in the form of trading bases)

All the while your are doing this, you are juggling inventory items since you start out with a tiny suit inventory and a tiny spaceship inventory and a tiny multitool slot number. All of this of course can be upgraded either through credits (finding suit slot upgrades with drop pods), time (findind crashed spaceships with more slots and fixing them) or trade/ruins (giving you the option sometimes to upgrade your multitool for a price).

then you get off planet and fly to another planet in the system, and there you are shown how to build a hyperdrive so you can warp to other systems, and your grand space quest begins. Will you follow your own path to the center? will you follow the Atlas? Only you can decide!

And this is where the game basically ends. Because form then on, it is a grind fest of flying to a new system, finding ore for whatever recipe you need to craft (including the materials to make more fuel for the hyperdrive), maybe upgrading a few suit slots (that get progressively more expensive, I am up to 400,000 units a slot), warp to the next system, find the Atlas base, get a new system to travel to, rinse and repeat. I tried to have fun with it. I tried to keep it interesting, but the alien ruins are the same 4 things over and over again, the alien life forms across 50 system jumps I have done, are so similar I couldn't tell what came from what planet as they all blend together, and the aliens you interact with, while maybe having 5-6 different skins so far, boil down to trader, warrior, scientist. And how you speak to them is based on that category.

The "Interesting" puzzles you may find to help guide you to a new alien ruin? it says something along the lines of "You see a sequence of numbers. 1234 ... 2341 ... 3412 ... What could the next sequence be". I shit you not. Thats been 99 out of 100 of them. Same pattern, just changed numbers.

I put in 25 hours and am done. I tried earlier to play and after 30 minutes was bored and logged out. Was bored after 5 minutes really, but really tried to find a little spark to keep going.

So play it on sale for 15-20 bucks, and enjoy the shit out of the first 6 hours. because after that, it's as boring as Elite Dangerous A.K.A., Space Trucker.

Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:39 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Guild Leader, Disease Spreader

Post Re: No Mans sky

Hard pass.

Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:32 pm
I am the lawgivah!
I am the lawgivah!

Post Re: No Mans sky
I saw that video, and it is a perfect review of the game.

Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:32 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]