View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Asus ROG Swift PG278Q monitor 
I am the lawgivah!
I am the lawgivah!

Post Asus ROG Swift PG278Q monitor
I mentioned this in RAID the other night so though I would type it out here as well.

I was recently looking to get a new monitor since my cheapo Dell 22" 1080P monitor was getting a bit long in the tooth (had it 4 years), and was mainly looking at the 34" ultra wide monitors. Looking at the flat and curved options. I had gotten one of each at my local shop (since I have 30 days to return) to try them out in my home office, and while they are super pretty, the formfactor was just too wide. I have a medium-strong glasses prescription, and even with the image compression from my glasses, it was awkward to see from one side of the screen to the other. I already move my head a lot with a regular screen, so this made it much much worse, and it's unusable for me without glasses since I cant find anything once I move my head.

Somewhat discouraged, I decided to try out the 27" formfactor monitors, and a friend had gotten the ROG Swift when it came out and he loved it. It's a good size 16:9 panel, and runs a nice res at 2560x1440. My GTX970 is just strong enough to run most of what I play well on it. It's biggest selling feature is it runs Gsync, so there is no screen tearing or stuttering based on Vsync settings and computer speed vs game demands. It is a very unusual buttery smooth motion, even with the pointer under windows, but it's easy to get used to since it is quite nice. Overall I really like the monitor, but one big caveat. this is still the TN panel display. The IPS has not come out yet, although from Asus tweets, it should be any day now sorta thing. If your looking to spend a fair chunk of change on one of these displays (and they aint cheap), I would highly suggest waiting for the IPS panel to come out and see how it does.

This isnt to say it is washed out by any means, but it is definitely missing a 5-10% increase in color saturation I feel. Something an IPS panel will be great with. The reason i say wait and see is that Acer came out with the IPS based panel a bit ago, and as is usual with IPS panels, there is a lot of concern about lightbleed. Hopefully Asus gets it right and it doesn't cost more than 200 bucks over what this panel cost (700).

Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:30 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]